Monday, November 24, 2014

The Next Chapter: Meet Coach Kris

You don't have to have a coach to do an ironman, but it certainly makes it easier.

In 2010, when Shelly and I decided to attempt our first half ironman, we found a coach at a local shop. Of course it was Dawn Elder, and she remembers us walking in with our notepads, eyes wide, ready to write down everything she said. After a successful first 70.3, we were both hooked, and we turned to Dawn to help us through the next big goal (a faster marathon!), and the next one (a faster 70.3!), and the next one (Ironman!!!).

I've put all my trust into my coach over the past 4 years, and in turn she's helped me to reach goals and believe that I can chase bigger ones. Before this turns into a Love Letter to My Coachie, I'll just say that as we've traveled this road together, I've learned about Dawn's mission and motivation. I fully agree with her philosophy that it's not about the finish line, but the journey. Her greatest pride is in helping others to find their strength (not just physical, but mental, and emotional) through the journey of Ironman. This philosophy speaks to me; it inspires me.
Those are happy, grateful tears after reaching a huge goal this summer at Buffalo Springs!
You've heard me talk about Coachie (Dawn) and Grand Coachie (Hillary Biscay). Even Great-Grand Coachie (Siri Lindley - Hillary's coach) has made an appearance in some of Dawn's Facebook posts. I've always thought that it's so cool that each coach gives their knowledge to their athletes, and that this knowledge keeps getting passed down through "generations" until we all benefit.

So, I'm really proud and excited to tell you that I'm joining Dawn as a Tri-Belief associate coach. Coaching is something I've been interested in for years, and I feel honored that my coach and mentor thinks it's something I'll be good at. It feels like a really good fit - my friends have been jokingly calling me Coachie Junior for a while (although that may just be their way of telling me I'm being a bossy know-it-all). Anyway...meet Coach Kris!

As I work toward certifications, I'll be coaching under Dawn, learning from her, drawing from my own experience, and passing along the Tri-Belief philosophy while helping other athletes chase their dreams. And I can't wait!

In fact, I've been coaching two amazing women for a couple of months now, under Dawn's careful eye. And even though neither of these ladies has raced yet with me as their coach, I'm already so proud of them as I read their workout logs and watch their progress. It's an incredible feeling to be a part of someone else's success. I am so excited about this new chapter.


No comments: