Sunday, September 7, 2008

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

I have a score to settle with the San Antonio Half Marathon. In 2005, I ran the (Half) Marathon of the Americas. Well, “ran” is probably too strong a word. I struggled through 13.1 miles in a walk/run/death march, praying to see the finish line on the horizon. When I finally rounded the corner and caught a glimpse of the beautiful time clock at the entrance of the Alamodome, the crowds of people filling the streets began to cheer. “How wonderful,” I thought, as I staggered towards the finish line, “These people are all cheering for me! How supportive!”

And as I began to smile and wave at my adoring fans, the winner of the marathon breezed past me and crossed the finish line. That’s right, the marathon winner ran 26.2 miles in the time it took me to pound out 13.1 (two hours and 36 minutes). If you want proof, you can see me in the background of the marathon winner’s finish-line photo in the San Antonio Express-News.

It took me two years to muster up the courage to attempt the half-marathon distance again. But, still intimidated by the idea of racing 13.1 in San Antonio, I didn’t participate in last year’s race here. Instead, I ran the AT&T Half Marathon in Austin this past February.

When I heard that the Rock ‘n’ Roll race was coming to San Antonio, I decided to sign up and try running a half marathon here again. Second time’s a charm, right?

I pledge that this year, with months of base-building, speed work, hill training, and long runs behind me, fantastic bands on the course, and a supportive running buddy at my side, I will finish the San Antonio Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon with a smile on my face (hopefully, at least a few minutes before the marathon winner crosses the finish line).

No comments: