Monday, December 17, 2012

Like a Fish Out of Water

I swam today for the first time in a month. Talk about feeling like a fish out of water...it's amazing what you lose after 30 or so days of not doing something you've previously done 3 times a week for several years.

I've been letting the cut on my knee heal for as long as I could stand it. Yesterday, I decided that enough is enough! I got permission from my handy doctor/training buddy Aixa, and made plans with her and Shelly to meet at the pool this morning at 5:45.

The workout called for 2700 meters today:

800 drills
500 straight swim
2 x 250 on :20 rest
5x100 on :10 rest
200 swim/cooldown

It was 55 degrees this morning. On the way to the gym, I got a text message - Aixa bailed. To be fair, she works flexible hours and has no reason to show up in the cold and dark at an outdoor pool at 5:45 am. Shelly was there when I arrived and I jumped into the pool to get warm. Only one other swimmer was there - a far cry from the crowds that we fought with for lanes last summer.

Shelly hadn't been to the pool in over a month either. We began swimming side by side and I immediately noticed the difference - I just felt SO SLOW. And then after the drills were finished, I felt tired. My lower back was sore. I got through the 500 straight and then the first 250. And by the end of the second 250, my form was so ridiculously bad, I just gave up on the rest of the workout and kicked with a board to cool down. This evening, I'm already sore from swimming this morning.

My last swim was at Ironman Arizona. I swam 2.4 miles straight in an hour and 18 minutes. Today, I swam half that distance and it took almost as long. I have my work cut out for me to get back up to speed in the pool. But I don't mind - I'm training 100% for triathlon again and it feels great.

Now a before and after pic of my knee! Just stop here if you're squeamish (it's really not that bad).







No comments: