Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Case of the "Now What's?"

As an avid reader of Slowtwitch and Triathlete/Lava magazines, I've been aware of the dreaded Post-Ironman Depression that can afflict athletes after completing that huge goal of finishing the first Ironman. And like the beginning of every article I've read about it, I'll start by saying "I never thought it would happen to me!"

I understand it. I was completely focused on a big goal for over a year, and once that goal was accomplished, it totally makes sense that I'd feel a little bit lost. However, as I trained for IMTX, I had other goals swimming around in my head for "later," and I figured that they'd be enough to get my attention and keep some drive and focus in the months after Ironman. This hasn't been so much the case, and I struggle day to day with finding motivation. Case in point, I'm officially training for the Austin 70.3 this fall, but I haven't registered for the race.

My friends have all been talking about the next full Ironman events that they're going to do. Some of them have already signed up for races next year. I've joined in these conversations, but in my mind I'm thinking I don't feel like doing all that training again for a long time! Luckily, the girls have talked more about 2015 than next year. I just don't know what I want to do next as far as long races go - and I just need to make myself be okay with that. There's no rush, right?

To add insult to injury (or whatever), my hamstring that was bothering me before IMTX has continued to speak up, but not enough to keep me from training. I've been (not-so-diligently) doing PT exercises to strengthen the muscles around it, but it still makes me notice it during and after workouts - not enough to slow me down but just enough to scare me and make me mad.

I used to spend a lot of time being blissfully happy and grateful that my body allows me to do this stuff every day, because I know that it's a gift and that no moment should be taken for granted. I want that feeling back.

I'm hoping that I'm coming out of it a little bit...this weekend was a GREAT one for training. We had some beautiful weather for a ride out to Castroville yesterday, and the cooler temps allowed for a quicker-than-usual long run this morning. It helps to have fast friends to chase plus the promise of a cold coffee drink at Starbucks afterwards. I know that all of this is supposed to be fun - well, this weekend was more fun than it's been in a long time. Who knows, I might even sign up for Longhorn today. ;)

Post-run Starbucks shenanigans.

2 comments:

Shelly Biehle said...

Gotta say, I'm glad you posted this. I was right there after IMAZ. It's nice to see that kind of honesty out there.

I'm so excited for you to crush Longhorn! I can't wait for you to go back and totally PR that course!! GOOOO KRIS!

Damie said...

Happens to all of us. I have a hard time getting out of the funk and really getting my A game back. Just cruise for a bit and stay fit. Something will catch your eye and you will be ready to go race again :)