Saturday, November 8, 2014

An Open Love Letter to My BFFs

I considered apologizing in advance for the unquestionably sentimental post that you're about to read...but then I changed my mind. I'm not sorry to send out some love and gratitude into the universe today after an amazing ride this morning with my incredible, strong, fun, fearless friends!

Aixa, me, Linda (birthday girl!), Shelly, Orissa
I remember 7 (!!) years ago talking with Shelly, my coworker-turned-training-partner-BFF, about how you know who your friends are. How do you determine if someone's your friend or just your coworker? Is it the amount of time you spend together outside of work? How do work-related Happy Hours fit into the equation? What if you start training together every day for marathons and triathlons, and with the 40-hour work weeks and 15-hour training weeks, ultimately spending more time together than with your families? Of course we were defining our own relationship, but through the years as we've met more people through this sport, we've continued to discuss the subject and ask the question - what defines a training buddy? When do training buddies become friends?

Well, all of a sudden, 2 became 5. How cool is that?!

We can credit our coach, Dawn Elder, for putting together the coolest group of girls that I know, simply because we happen to be triathletes who work with the same coach and train for the same events. When you put in hours, weeks, months, years together training for Ironman, you can't help but develop a unique relationship. To ride your bikes together and run together for hours at a time, you learn each others' strengths and weaknesses. You share hopes and fears as you work together pursuing the same dream. There's a trust and respect that comes with sharing these experiences. You learn how to build each other up and say the right things and ultimately become each others' biggest cheerleaders.

We can thank Dawn (far right) for introducing us. 
Not that it's all fun and games. At any given time, 3 of the 5 of us are in the same age group, competing for the same prize. That's not easy, especially if you're the one having the bad day.

Over the years, the 5 of us have been through a lot of stuff together beyond the races and epic training days. There's been the wonderful stuff - weddings and babies. And there's been the crappy stuff that nobody else needs to hear about.

Today, we went out and rode to Castroville for a donut to celebrate Linda's birthday, and it was the first time the 5 of us have ridden our bikes together in a really long time. It was amazing to all be together again doing the thing that started our friendships in the first place. The thing I feel really blessed about is that the friendship is real and strong and present regardless of triathlon. In sharing the important things in our lives together, in being there for each other in tough times as well as celebrations, our friendship clearly goes beyond the sport, and I'm so grateful.


I remember watching Sex and the City years ago and being jealous of the friendships that were highlighted so well on that show. I thought at the time that it would be impossible for real women to have relationships like that, because at the time, I simply didn't have them. But now, I feel so lucky to look at my amazing friends and know that I have that kind of loving family, support system, group of incredible friends.


Just another reason to be grateful to the sport of triathlon and how it's enriched my life. Happy birthday, Linda! And here's to many more years training, racing, and competing together. I love you girls.


No comments: