Friday, July 17, 2009

Injured

I think I have achilles tendonitis. At least, that's what a search on the Internet tells me. I'm making an appointment to go to the doctor to make sure, and to find out the proper way to heal it.

The pain has been developing off and on since before July 4, because that's when I asked Mom about plantar fasciitis, because that's what I thought it might be. But my pain is behind my heel, not under it. Online, I learned that a sudden increase in mileage, hills, or speedwork can cause achilles tendonitis, and I have certainly done all of the above in the last month or so.

I knew when I looked at the SA Fit marathon training program that it was weird to be doing hill training and speedwork while building up base mileage. I signed up for the program anyway because other people had had success with it, and because it would be easier than figuring out a route every weekend for Shelly and me to run. I knew that people dropped out injured from this program, but I figured that those people were the couch potatoes who couldn't handle it, not seasoned runners like me. That was stupid.

It has been almost 2 years since an injury last stopped me from running for more than a couple of days. My heel/ankle really hurt, and I'm afraid to injure them further. My last run was on Tuesday (speedwork - sigh).

I'm not running for at least a week. I am going to see a doctor about it. Now that I've put that in writing, I have to stick to it.

At least I can still bike and swim.

No comments: