Saturday, July 18, 2009

Meet Eisenheim the Magnificent


Robert and I bought new road bikes last weekend at Bicycle Heaven. I named mine Eisenheim the Magnificent (Ike for short). Want to know why? After we brought the bikes home, we couldn't ride them because we had to stay home and care for Lucy the incredible rubber-band eating cat, who had just had surgery after a 25-rubber-band eating binge (she's fine now). So the next best thing was to watch the Tour de France with our new shiny bikes in the living room with us. Somehow we started joking around and calling Levi Leipheimer "Eisenheim" instead of by his given name, and that's where I got the name for my bike.

We had to wait until Thursday evening to take our first ride on the new bicycles. It killed me to wait so long, especially because I have a running injury that is making me feel out of shape already (my last run was on last Tuesday!). We took a 10 mile ride around UTSA and it was fantastic. It took some time to understand the gearing, and it was a lot of fun riding with my new bike computer that shows cadence. I can't believe how much easier it is to ride a road bike than a hybrid. It's like there's nothing underneath me and that I'm just flying along. We did fly - our average pace (13.6 mph) was in my top 5 of all time, races included.

This morning, I went out to Boerne Lake to work out with the Tri-Sition Area group. We started with an 800 meter swim, and then rode a scenic, hilly 21 miles (14.9 mph avg!) around the Boerne area. It was gorgeous, and I spent an entire mile on the way back smiling and repeating aloud, "I love this bike, I love you, bike!"

I really can't even describe how much I love this bike. We're going to go places together! I can't wait.

No comments: