Thursday, June 10, 2010

Status Update

Shelly and I are going to start training for the Longhorn Ironman 70.3 on July 5, 2010.

Now that I've put it in writing, it makes it real! This is our next big challenge. When we first started triathlons just over a year ago, I remember that the first big goal was to just finish a mini Sprint. Then a Sprint. Then the big goal was an Olympic distance tri. Now we've completed 2 Olympics (TX Tri and Cap Tex), and the next logical step is the Half Ironman. (Some might argue that that isn't logical at all.)

Even though Half Ironman has the word "half" in front of it, it feels like a huge undertaking. In my mind, it's as big a goal as a marathon. It's a 1.2 mile swim followed by a 56 mile bike ride followed by a 13.1 mile run.

We've chosen a race (Longhorn, October 17). We have a coach (Dawn Elder). We have the determination and energy to get to the start line. My plan is to document our training here.

No comments: