Saturday, June 19, 2010

We Can't Back Out Now!

It's official - Shelly and I have registered for the Longhorn Ironman 70.3. We attended the training group meeting on Wednesday evening and bought our training plan from Dawn. Price tag so far: $291 for the race entry, $75 for the training plan/coaching, $70 for new purple swimsuit/goggles/matching cap (the last set of purchases wasn't necessary at all, but the suit is just so cute).

For the last few days, I've talked about nothing but Half Ironman to anyone who will listen. Robert seems reluctantly supportive (he's worried that I'm going to get hurt and not get to the start line, or hurt during the race and not be able to finish...and he doesn't want me to be disappointed. I understand his concerns because I have the same ones flapping around in my own head.). Terri (my manager at work) asked an innocent question in our weekly one-on-one meeting (I think it was, "What are you doing this weekend?") and I responded with way more than she wanted to hear about training and racing in general, and the Longhorn in particular. I'm just really, really excited about taking on this goal, and I can't wait to get started.

After taking a look at the training plan, I'm a little concerned about the high number of workouts per week. It's more than what we're used to. But, the swim workouts are tiny compared to what we usually do, and the running miles per week don't add up the way ours usually do. I see immediately that it's going to be the Summer of the Bike. Four bike workouts a week is going to be difficult to schedule around work and the summer heat. I do see a need to get stronger on the bike because that is where the majority of the race takes place, but I'm afraid of slacking off on the run training and then getting injured later in the summer because we start building miles without a good base.

I think I'm just going to have to trust the plan. Two more weeks til we actually start!

No comments: